Wednesday, February 23, 2011


Sometimes Vanity is a Good Thing
Okay, so I’m not afraid to say it – I’m vain. And that simple fact is the inspiration for my taking on the challenge. Sure, winning a $1,000 and the title won’t hurt my ego any, but at the end of the day, I’m tired of always feeling like less in the looks department.
It’s funny – I’ve never really been one to worry about aging or getting older, and I guess in the naivety of my youth, I always just thought staying young and trim would be easy cause most things are for me. But what I’ve realized is, I’m just like everyone else. I’m not special in that I can eat whatever I want as often as I want, not exercise, and still look like Giselle Bundchen (which is kind of funny cause I never looked that good to begin with). However, over the past 5 years or so, I’ve really lost myself physically. I’ve been so focused on so many other things – work, kids, school, house, spouse – I don’t even recognize myself anymore. So, this is the year I stop blaming it on baby weight (my youngest is 8 years old so it really doesn’t work anymore!) and start living more of an Inclusive Health lifestyle as advocated by Dr. Murad.
I know myself well enough to know my downfalls. I have an incredibly busy, stressful and demanding schedule so at the end of the day, I just want to get home, get the night closed down (homework, baths, dinner, catch up on e-mails, bed) and veg for an hour to clear my head and prepare for the next day. Because I’m so busy and always running, I skip meals, eat at weird times, or don't eat at all (sometimes an entire 2 days will go by and I'll realize I haven't eaten anything!) which has killed my metabolism, and when I do remember to eat - it's whatever is quickest, and working out? Forget it! That would mean more time away from that hour of vegging out, or sacrificing my sleep on the weekends – and I CHERISH my sleep for fear that one day I might not be able to - it's like I'm banking it! I could literally sleep 11 hours a night (hey, maybe there's a connection?)
So, it’s clear - habits need to change so I can get back to a place that’s more balanced. I know it will be hard (change always is) but I’m a pretty willful individual and when I set my mind to something, there’s pretty much no stopping me – and when you add to that the support of the four strong, independent, driven women I am teamed with, I feel more prepared then ever to make a permanent change for the better.
So yes, sometimes vanity is a good thing and I intend to make it so in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment